Our Educational Beliefs and Learning Approach
The reasons for studying a foreign language are diverse, depending on each learner’s needs and goals. Whether our students are looking for career enhancement or personal enrichment, GLN works to provide a rewarding learning experience for all.
Our overall philosophy is rooted in that of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL). Like ACTFL, we believe that competence in more than one language and culture enables people to
- Communicate with other people in other cultures in a variety of settings
- Develop insight into their own language and culture
- Act with greater awareness of self, of other cultures, and their own relationship to those cultures
- Gain direct access to additional bodies of knowledge
- Participate more fully in the global community and marketplace.
Further, we have adapted our language learning model, The Six C’s of GLN (Communication, Connections, Collaboration, Communities, and Culture) from ACTFL’s Five C’s of Foreign Language Education. We have placed a sixth C, Communicative Competence, in the center of our model, since this is the ultimate goal of our program and our learners.
Read more about our 6 C’s and how they tie into the classroom experience.