How to Enroll
GLN offers three semesters of language classes (Spring, Summer, and Fall) where the Spring and Fall classes meet once a week for 12 weeks, and Summer classes meet once a week for 6 weeks. Classes take place for 2-hour sessions and are scheduled to accommodate the scheduling needs of our adult learners. They are primarily held after 5:00 pm on weeknights and at varying times throughout the weekend. GLN classes are open to everyone over 18 years of age.
We recently also launched a new Executive Session that meets for six 2-hour sessions within our normal semester. The Executive Session is a great option for those students who do not have time to commit to 12 sessions or want to supplement their existing GLN classes.
For all non-lottery classes, you can simply follow the instructions on the schedule page to submit a class request.
Since our most popular classes often receive hundreds of class requests, we devised a lottery system to determine student selection.
- Class Request: to make it fair, we give everyone who is interested in participating the chance to submit class requests prior to drawing the lottery. The lottery is typically drawn on the last day of open registration for the semester (roughly 1-2 weeks prior to the start of classes).
- Multiple Choices: you may submit class requests for up to three different languages to increase your chances of getting into a class! Note: you may NOT submit requests for multiple levels of the same language (i.e., Spanish Tourist AND Spanish Explorer).
- Open Enrollment: many classes still have open spots even after the lottery is drawn so registration continues on a first come first served basis until classes start or until classes become full (whichever happens first)
- Priority Registration: Did you know there is a way to bypass the lottery system? Read more about who qualifies for Priority Registration
Language Placement Form
- You have not taken the previous level course with GLN within the past two semesters.
- You have taken the previous level course with GLN within the past two semesters but did not meet the attendance requirements (you missed more than two classes)
We include 2 weeks of make-up classes as part of our semester planning in the event that one or two of your classes are canceled due to holiday or other official GLN cancellation. Please include those extra two sessions in your planning since they will count towards your semester attendance should they need to be used.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQs!
Since 2005 GLN has offered classes in more than 60 different languages! While we are not able to offer every language every semester, you can help us bring more languages to our community by referring a Teaching Fellow.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- English as a Second Language
- Haitian Creole
- Persian (Farsi)
- Persian (Tajiki)